Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Week 9

Monday- Tonight I made meatloaf for the first time. I have never really been a big fan of meatloaf but I thought I might as well learn how to cook it. The recipe called for a lot of new things for me as I had to add croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. I haven really had to use too many spices so far as normally I stay with the basics (salt, pepper, and garlic salt). It took quite a while to cook which ended up being a little over an hour and for the end result I can’t really see myself making too much meatloaf in the future. For the amount of effort and work that goes into making it I just don’t like it that. I did like that this recipe start me off using more vegetables. I used vegetables in my other cooking but I never put too much effort into preparing them as I always see them as a side but I found it only takes about a minute to put them in the food processor which makes the mixture of them taste really nice. I used onions, carrots, garlic, and red peppers in the food processor and pulsed until the mixture was finely chopped, but not pureed. My parents like it but as I said I have never been a fan of it and the spices were a little too much for my sister so all in all the meal really didn't turn out to be that good.
Tuesday- In order t changes it up from last night’s meatloaf I decided to make dessert tonight and let my mom go ahead and make dinner. I made a custard pie for dessert which tasted pretty good but in my opinion the store bought taste better than mine did. Mine ended up tasting a little too much like egg. The recipe was a pretty simple one and all that really need to be done was to add whipped eggs mixture (eggs, flour, and sugar) to the boiled milk. Afterwards I sprinkled some nutmeg on top and baked it in a premade pie crust. I think I like making dessert more than dinners, it just is more fun because the end result usually taste great and everyone looks forward to eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment